Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Shadowz

As we were flying from point A to point B yesterday I noticed something interesting. As we were traveling above the desert I could see the shadow of the aircraft 8,000 feet below us. I watched as we flew over sand dunes, buildings, and even water that the shadow continued to move at the same rate, cast in the same location relative to the nose of the aircraft, and that it did not grow in size at all. When we descended toward our destination I couldn't help but notice that the shadow continued at the same speed, but that it also began to grow in size.
As I sat under the wing of an aircraft this yesterday afternoon I started thinking about what I had witnessed earlier today. The shadow of the aircraft I was sitting under was present all around me. What a great illustration of how the Lord is ever present with us I began to think. No matter how far away we get from Him, his shadow remains the same size. No matter how fast we run, He is ever present.
I quickly turned to Psalms 17 when I got back to my office. There the Psalmist expressed in verse 8 and 9, "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, from the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about."
I am comforted to know that I am under the shadow of the Lord's wings. I'm thankful He put me in just the right position on the aircraft to witness this and be reminded of his love, compassion, and forgiveness He shows me each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment